Horne Coupar, Victoria, BC

Tel: (250) 388-6631    Fax: (250) 388-5974
Toll-Free: 1-866-467-2490     E-mail Us: Here

Home Articles


Adult Guardianship

British Columbia has four statutes which help deal with situations where a person is abused or neglected, or is no longer capable of making decisions about their financial, legal or personal and health care.

Alter Ego and Joint Partner Trusts

Alter ego and joint partner trusts are estate planning options available as a result of amendments to the Income Tax Act in June 2001 (retroactive to January 2000).

Ambulance Chasers?

Everyone has heard stories about personal injury lawyers chasing down big bucks for people who claim they are injured, but are not really injured at all. The truth is that most personal injury lawyers only represent clients that are truly hurt.

Becoming Injured as a Mature Adult

There are special challenges for older adults seeking compensation for injures. Your age alone is not reason enough to be denied the full extent of compensation you deserve!

Challenging A Will

Laws surrounding when and how a will may be challenged vary across Canada.


In BC, adults are presumed to be capable of making their own decisions and managing their own affairs.

A capable adult may appoint another person to make decisions for them, by enduring power of attorney or representation agreement, in the event that the adult loses capacity. If an adult loses capacity and has not made an earlier appointment of authority, it may be necessary for an interested person to seek an appointment as the adult’s “committee”.

Comprehending Capacity

It is essential for family caregivers and the ones they are caring for to have properly executed wills and incapacity documents in place. The importance of these documents and the risks of not taking such reasonable preparations have been set out in detail in past publications of the Network News Newsletter.

Considerations for Attorneys Acting Under an Enduring Powers of Attorney

This article discusses considerations for an individual asked to be an attorney and for attorneys who are now acting under an enduring power of attorney.

Considerations for the Adult Before Making an Enduring Powers of Attorney

This article discusses considerations for the adult who wishes to have an enduring power of attorney.

Employment Law and Wrongful Dismissal (for Employees)

Information to assist employees to understand their rights when being fired.

Employment Law and Wrongful Dismissal (for Employers)

Information to assist employers to understand their rights when firing an employee.

Estate Planning and the New Family Law Act

On March 18, 2013, British Columbia's new Family Law Act (the "FLA") becomes law, replacing the 1970's era Family Relations Act. Certain provisions of the new FLA will have an effect on estate planning, and this article highlights issues which may arise. This article is informational only. For advice on your specific situation, we would be pleased to assist.

Executor and Trustee Compensation

Executors and trustees may be categorized into two basic types: the professional, and the layperson. The professional trustee is generally a trust company, lawyer or any other professional who provides executor and/or trustee services as a professional service and for a fee. The layperson trustee encompasses all others, even if they claim and receive compensation.

I Have Been Hurt in a Car Accident: What Should I Do?

Advice to ensure your rights are properly upheld by ICBC.

I Need to Sue Somebody, or Somebody's Suing Me: How Do I Choose a Lawyer?

Eight steps to help you find an experienced litigator, someone who is a good match for your needs.

Joint Tenancy

Joint tenancy can be an effective and inexpensive part of an estate plan, but it is important to obtain good legal advice to consider whether other estate planning tools, such as a trust, might be preferable.